Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Seguin: Part 2

As the hike up to Seguin with the senior class progressed, we began to see just a handful of tiny, ramshackle little homes. You can see this perched on the cliff, overlooking a few goats.
This was the only house I saw that was painted. It has an outbuilding or two. That's laundry drying on the bush- that's the way they do it (no laundry lines).
Pouring rain and a little stick shack.
Finally, we reached the last hour of the hike- dense fog and the pine forest. At last, walking on pine needles instead of big wet rocks!
We made it! The joy was palpable.
Chill time at the house at Seguin. There were two bedrooms where the adult chaperones stayed, and the 12th graders stayed in tents outside.
Silly games galore. This is Fabrice trying to act out "mermaid".

Hiking to the river.
Crossing a scary tiny bridge over a river in the pine forest.
A gorgeous river in the pine forest. We paused here for awhile while some crazy students decided to get IN the freezing cold river.

Ok, now for the craziest part - the hike back.
Misery, yet laughing. You know when you are in a situation, and it's just so, so bad, and you can do nothing about it, and so you just laugh? That was this moment. Pouring rain, stretched to my max physical ability, in the middle of nowhere, wet, tired, falling up and falling down mountains. And then...
The rain got so bad that we could not go on. We walked up to a Haitian family's tiny wooden one-room shack and I said, "Eske, nou kabap?" which means, basically, "Can we....?" It's all I could come up with. They understood, thankfully, and invited us to squat on the dirt floor with the 5 of them. I took just two photos, sneakily, out of the pocket of my coat, because most of the people we met that day were really not welcoming our photo-taking. There were 4 or 5 adults and 1 or 2 babies, including this guy. There were two chairs in the house- one where the mother was sitting, and one more....
It was the oldest, most rickety chair I've seen. It was breaking under her, so she had to half sit/half squat. They were so generous to offer it. I've never been in a house like that- just a few little clothing items hung from the rafters, no pantry, certainly no water or electricity, just a bucket or two. When we left, we gave them all the food we had- several pieces of candy.

The funny part was that when I stood up to leave, I put on my backpack which had been sitting beside me on the dirt ground. I adjusted my rain jacket and then reached to brush off the dirt from my backside. The elderly Haitian grandpa took the opportunity to give me five or six good brushes on the backside, to "assist" me in getting the dirt off. He was laughing the entire time, as were the other adults there- he knew exactly what he was doing! I laughed and walked off. The price of staying dry.
I made it. Just barely. I'm so glad I went.



  1. Excellent pictures! And it is the times when you are stretched physically and/or mentally, when you are physically miserable but laughing still, that you remember the most.

  2. Whoa. You guys be careful.

    Your pics remind me to be grateful! I wonder where those people get fed everyday???

  3. Another Texan, thank you so much for the heads up. I have been so focused on school and cholera that I was unaware of this development. Thanks for looking out for us!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...